Patients taking hormones seem to be at a higher risk of tendon injury

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
Abstract

» Testosterone replacement treatment (TRT) and anabolic androgenic steroid (AAS) use is common and possibly increasing.

» Diagnosing and treating hypogonadism in men is controversial.

» Hypogonadism and the use of AASs seem to have a detrimental effect on the musculoskeletal system. The current literature on TRT and the musculoskeletal system shows an increased risk of tendon injury.

» There may be a role for testosterone supplementation in the postoperative period.

Orthopaedic patients using testosterone are not easily identified. Indication criteria for prescribing TRT vary widely among prescribers. Anabolic androgenic steroid (AAS) use is illicit, which means patients may not want to admit to its use. Consequently, there is a very heterogeneous population of patients taking testosterone. In certain clinical scenarios, which will be discussed in greater detail in this review article, questioning patients regarding TRT or AAS intake may be an important component of eliciting a complete history and physical examination.

Anabolic Androgenic Steroids

There is a high prevalence of anabolic steroid use in the general population11. Almost all orthopaedic surgeons encounter patients on AAS in their careers. Being aware of the risks of supraphysiological doses of testosterone and self-medication will help the surgeon counsel patients about potential injuries and complications.

Indications for TRT

A risk-benefit discussion should take place between the prescribing physician and patients seeking TRT. The consensus in the literature seems to be that indications for TRT should be tailored to individual patients 17,18. In summary, TRT can improve the lives of many patients, but determining who is best treated and with which medication is best determined by the patient and his physician.

Testosterone Replacement Treatment

Patients with primary hypogonadism are expected to obtain significant benefits from the return of normal hormone levels. For example, Klinefelter’s syndrome, orchidectomy or radiation treatment may be treated with TRT. Secondary hypogonadism stemming from systemic disorders such as AIDS and diabetes have shown some improvement in symptoms with treatment. Patients suffering from mixed hypogonadism have also been treated successfully with TRT. Patients with LOH can be treated by TRT with improvement of symptoms. The prescribing criteria can vary depending on which guidelines are being used 3.

*Benefits

*Complications of TRT

Musculoskeletal Risks of TRT

Because all the above mentioned studies are database studies, it is difficult to infer the reason these tears are seen. These studies were performed by using patient-matching techniques. Therefore, the groups were similar except for the use of TRT. Theories to explain the differences in rates of tearing include an anabolic effect such as seen in users of anabolic steroids on the muscles and tendons involved. This results in a stiffer tendon that would be more prone to tearing off the bone. There is also decreased remodeling in tendons that are exposed to testosterone. This may cause a relative weakening in the face of an increasingly stronger muscle. As we have seen earlier, testosterone increases lean muscle mass. An imbalance between the force generated by an increased muscle mass and this force on a potentially stiffer or weaker tendon may contribute to the results found in these studies. The mismatch may decrease or increase with time, but this is also unknown. Acquiring more knowledge of testosterone’s influence on the tendon and muscles will allow better counseling for patients in the future. The years of testosterone deficiency before tendon tears must also be considered in light of the important role of this hormone on tendon health.

Future

Obviously, more studies are required to elucidate the mechanism causing testosterone supplementation to increase the rate of tears. Finding the reason that TRT and hypogonadism are both causing an increase in rupture rates is important and would allow the patients’ healthcare team devise strategies to mitigate this risk.

In a recent article, Thomson et al.44 reported on testosterone levels before and after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. This study reports that in the postoperative period, male patients had lower testosterone levels. These levels correlated with the patient’s Patient Reported Outcome Scores. They suggest that testosterone supplementation may help return the patient to pre operative activity levels quicker than waiting for the hormone to return to baseline. A more normal testosterone level would help improve the rate of return to function during the rehabilitation period. A similar study performed on rats by Tashjianet al.45 demonstrated that supplementation of sex hormones after rotator cuff repair may allow a faster return to preoperative activity and histologically superior tendon healing. These studies suggest that patient outcomes, activity levels, and tendon healing may be improved by supplying missing testosterone in the postoperative period. This may have implications in a lot of other surgical fields. These studies may also change the pharmacology used as postoperative regimens after major and mino rorthopaedic surgeries.

A lot of work remains to be done in this domain. It is important to recognize that most surgeons will encounter patients taking these medications, as TRT or AAS, throughout their careers. Given the attention that testosterone is receiving in the lay press, it is important that we, orthopaedic surgeons, have at least basic knowledge of TRT.

Although the role of the orthopaedic surgeon is not to initiate TRT or AAS, being aware of the complications these treatments can cause is important. Patients taking hormones seem to be at a higher risk of tendon injury. When treating these patients, having a high index of suspicion for tendon injuries is important. Counseling patients who are contemplating or using these hormonal treatments is an important part of the surgeon’s responsibilities. Raising awareness of these complications among .our colleagues helps everyone’s patients.

Attachments

• 01874474-202406000-00005.pdf
    534.9 KB · Views: 33
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
TABLE I Types of Hypogonadism*
1720736853863.png

There is also decreased remodeling in tendons that are exposed to testosterone. This may cause a relative weakening in the face of an increasingly stronger muscle. As we have seen earlier, testosterone increases lean muscle mass. An imbalance between the force generated by an increased muscle mass and this force on a potentially stiffer or weaker tendon may contribute to the results found in these studies.
Elsewhere there was just a discussion with many reports of tennis and golfers elbow upon starting trt. Have also had this happen myself.

I’ve had tendon issues since starting trt. Pull-ups kill my elbows/forearms. I also work out way harder on trt though.

Last edited:
I've also had tendonitis in my Achilles tendon. I tried therapy, acupuncture, and a chiropractor. This sounds crazy but what healed it, 5 mg of creatine daily.

Interestingly, women suffer fewer muscle injuries, and more ligament ruptures than men (Arendt and Dick, 1995; Sewright et al., 2008; Hägglund et al., 2009; Edouard et al., 2016; Leblanc et al., 2017). These observations are consistent with lower sinew stiffness in women than men. Since knee laxity changes with estrogen levels through the menstrual cycle (Shultz et al., 2005), estrogen is believed to decrease sinew stiffness. Therefore, in the sections below, we will address how estrogen affects sinew mechanics and adaptation to loading.

Thank you for this post. I Having been dealing with severe Achilles tendinitis and wrist tendonitis bilaterally for months, and as a integrative physician, I have been trying to decide if this has been secondary to years of TRT or fluctuations in T levels with continued changes in generic meds and/or elevated estrogen and insulin levels. Add inclusion body myositis, and you are left with a nightmare of a situation with no good answers and great difficulty functioning! I agree that the creatinine along with diosmin has helped .

I doubt the injuries are due to a direct effect of testosterone but to doing heavier excercises.

You should be careful with Diosmin because it contracts blood vessels and decreases blood supply. If you overdo it, it may lead to tissue hipoxia and damage.

Actually that is exact opposite of what it does .
Mechanisms of Action
Diosmin’s mechanisms of action include improvement of venous tone, increased lymphatic drain- age, protection of capillary bed microcirculation, inhibition of inflammatory reactions, and reduced capil- lary permeability.3-6 Certain flavonoids, including diosmin, are potent inhibitors of prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) and thromboxane A2 (TxA2)7 as well as being inhibitors of leukocyte activation, migration, and adhesion. Diosmin causes a significant decrease in plasma levels of endothelial adhesion molecules and reduces neutrophil activation, thus providing protection against microcirculatory damage.8,9

Oxygen Management​

Several parameters involved in oxygen turnover were investigated. Factors associated with oxygen transport, including red blood cell count (RBC), hemoglobin (HB), and ferritin levels (an indicator of iron management), were within the normal range and did not change after diosmin treatment. Saturation (SaO2) in all participants was also within the normal range (above 95%), and no differences were observed as a result of the therapy. Considering the potential impact of oxygen delivery disruption on acid–base balance, blood pH, lactate levels, and anion gap (AG) were also investigated in our study. Following diosmin treatment, a statistically significant decrease in lactate levels and anion gap (AG) was observed. Furthermore, a reduction in HIF ranging from 35.1% to 42.4% was noted in each patients’ group. The data are shown in Figure 2.

(note this reply is just about the controversy, not tendon issues) tbh upon glancing on this and hitting chatgpt with questions on the uploaded doc, the negatives are very unconvincing. it essentially comes down to 'we do not know what we are doing, therefore it is controversial. btw, if. you willing to spend 20usd on openai/chatgpt 4o, you can directly upload those docs into the app (mac only) or UI and ask targeted questions. here is the tldr on some of the sections on why is it controversial, nevermind countless guys who's lives improved

1721093097443.png

Last edited:

A worldwide yearly survey of new data in adverse drug reactions

Arduino A. Mangoni, in Side Effects of Drugs Annual, 2015

Diosmin​

The authors speculate that the combination of arterial and venous vasoconstriction might lead to ischaemic muscle damage, with consequent increase in creatine kinase and lactate dehydrogenase concentrations:​

A 55-year-old Caucasian woman with history of hypertension presented with leg oedema [12A]. Regular medications included amiloride 5 mg/day and hydrochlorothiazide 50 mg/day. Venous Doppler documented right ostial saphenofemoral incompetence and she was started on diosmin 450 mg twice daily. After 5 days of treatment with diosmin, she started to complain of worsening leg pain and myalgia. On day 7, she stopped diosmin and her myalgias disappeared after further 3 days. At day 29, she decided to restart treatment with diosmin at the same dose. Her myalgias reappeared, and she stopped treatment 2 days later. After further 3 days, laboratory tests documented raised serum creatine kinase concentrations (1500 IU/L, normal range 39–308 IU/L). There was no report of strenuous exercise over this period. Electrocardiogram and echocardiogram were both normal. She was not taking other medicines or herbal supplements. Two months after stopping diosmin serum creatine kinase concentrations returned within the normal range (180 IU/L) [12A].

A 77-year-old Caucasian man with history of hypertension was prescribed diosmin 900 mg three times daily, topical nifedipine 0.3 g and lidocaine hydrochloride 1.5 g for haemorrhoids. The only regular medication was amlodipine 10 mg/day. Although haemorrhoid-related symptoms disappeared after 10 days of treatment, the patient continued treatment with diosmin for further 21 days. Routine blood tests, performed shortly thereafter, documented increased lactate dehydrogenase concentrations (1100 IU/L, normal range 240–480 IU/L). The latter returned within normal range (265 IU/L) after 1 month [12A]. Previous reports have shown that diosmetin, diosmin's active metabolite, inhibits amine reuptake at the peripheral sympathetic nerve terminals, potentially leading to vasoconstriction [13E]. Moreover, diosmin has also been shown to inhibit catechol-O-methyltransferase activity in the venous wall, with reduced metabolism of noradrenaline.

Thank you for this post. I Having been dealing with severe Achilles tendinitis and wrist tendonitis bilaterally for months, and as a integrative physician, I have been trying to decide if this has been secondary to years of TRT or fluctuations in T levels with continued changes in generic meds and/or elevated estrogen and insulin levels. Add inclusion body myositis, and you are left with a nightmare of a situation with no good answers and great difficulty functioning! I agree that the creatinine along with diosmin has helped .
You might want to review the "fixes for joint issues" thread and see if that gives you any ideas. I know of people who have had complete healing with DMSO, and for me the combination of DMSO, BPC-157 and something from the growth hormone family has worked well. Obviously I don't know how much of my healing has been attributable to each of these individually, but I'm happy with the overall result.

I've also had tendonitis in my Achilles tendon. I tried therapy, acupuncture, and a chiropractor. This sounds crazy but what healed it, 5 mg of creatine daily.
Hi Vince, I was wondering if you meant to say 5 grams instead of 5 milligrams. Haven't seen any products with such a small dose.

They suggest that testosterone supplementation may help return the patient to pre operative activity levels quicker than waiting for the hormone to return to baseline. A more normal testosterone level would help improve the rate of return to function during the rehabilitation period. A similar study performed on rats by Tashjianet al.45 demonstrated that supplementation of sex hormones after rotator cuff repair may allow a faster return to preoperative activity and histologically superior tendon healing.
Testosterone supposedly increases the risk of tendon injury, at the same time that it supports faster healing of tendons and ligaments when supplemented after surgery? Does that make alot of sense to anyone? Or is it more likely that people on TRT are apt to injure themselves for other reasons (like the fact that they are lifting weights with high intensity)?

This reminds me of typical nutritional science nonsense where correlation is mistaken for causation.

The basic premise of this thread would seem to be disproven by the use of "hormones" in strongman and powerlifting. There may be risks due to faster growth of muscles vs. tendons, but tendons have to increase in strength to accommodate the additional strength while someone is using hormones, so the net affect (more tendon strength due to more muscular strength) should be net positive.

Beyond Testosterone Book by Nelson Vergel
Testosterone supposedly increases the risk of tendon injury, at the same time that it supports faster healing of tendons and ligaments when supplemented after surgery? Does that make alot of sense to anyone? Or is it more likely that people on TRT are apt to injure themselves for other reasons (like the fact that they are lifting weights with high intensity)?

This reminds me of typical nutritional science nonsense where correlation is mistaken for causation.

Remember my reply from one of your older threads?

Do not be too eager to increase your strength so quickly as it is hard on the tendons and joints, especially at your age!

Tendinosis plays a big role when it comes to tears!

I could name off quite a few pro BBs juiced to the f**king gills abusing absurd doses T/AAS, numerous compounds (injectables/orals, GH, blah, blah) who have degenerative tendons let alone have still torn a tendon whether partial/full tear.

Some career ending!

Steroid junkie at it's finest!

Was all the chemical warfare to blame or the years of repetitive lifting, heavy weights, you get the point.

I’ve read that using exogenous testosterone, and in particular having high TT/FT levels, can cause some “stiffening” of tendons.

I would be much more concerned with chronic overuse (repetitive lifting) let alone training with heavy weights especially if you are getting older than where your TT/FT levels sit using therapeutic doses of T.

Talk to anyone who has been lifting heavy let alone training for years eventually there will be some degree of wear and tear especially on the joints/ligaments/tendons.

Regarding tendonitis in most cases when one has been strength training for a long time (years) most in fact develop tendinosis as opposed to tendinitis (which they think they have) and when one develops tendinosis the tendons are much more prone to a tear as tendinosis is a degeneration of the tendons collagen from chronic overuse.

My reply from a previous thread:

If there was a tear to the muscle tissue then healing time should not be too long.

At your age, I would be more suspect of tendon tear/degenerative tendons which can take much longer to heal let alone in many cases surgery may be needed.

Aging has a negative impact on tendon health as they tend to become stiffer/reduced regenerative capacity/loss of stem cell function.

*Aged tendons exhibited structural, compositional, and biomechanical changes

Regarding tendonitis in most cases when one has been lifting weight for a long time (years) most in fact develop tendinosis as opposed to tendinitis (which they think they have) and when one develops tendinosis the tendons are much more prone to a tear as tendinosis is a degeneration of the tendons collagen from chronic overuse.

Tendinosis (degeneration) from wear/tear, aging.

As we age one needs to train smarter as you will notice it is very common for most who have weight trained for years to end up with damaged joints/tendons from the repetitive wear/tear on the body.

*The higher risk of tendon rupture in anabolic steroid users MAY be directly caused by a direct effect on tendon or MAY also be indirectly related to the enhanced muscle hypertrophy and gain in muscle strength which is not balanced by a similar degree of adaptation in the connected tendon [101, 102].

post #1

Musculoskeletal Risks of TRT

Because all the above mentioned studies are database studies, it is difficult to INFER the reason these tears are seen. These studies were performed by using patient-matching techniques. Therefore, the groups were similar except for the use of TRT. THEORIES to explain the differences in rates of tearing include an anabolic effect such as seen in users of anabolic steroids on the muscles and tendons involved. This results in a stiffer tendon that would be more prone to tearing off the bone. There is also decreased remodeling in tendons that are exposed to testosterone. This may cause a relative weakening in the face of an increasingly stronger muscle. As we have seen earlier, testosterone increases lean muscle mass. An imbalance between the force generated by an increased muscle mass and this force on a potentially stiffer or weaker tendon MAY contribute to the results found in these studies. The mismatch may decrease or increase with time, but this is also UNKNOWN. Acquiring more knowledge of testosterone’s influence on the tendon and muscles will allow better counseling for patients in the future. The years of TESTOSTERONE DEFICIENCY BEFORE tendon tears must also be considered in light of the important role of this hormone on tendon health.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
buy tirzepatide
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Discounted Labs
Testosterone Doctor Near Me
Testosterone books nelson vergel
nelson vergel coaching for men
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale